If you asked someone if they were carrying poison most would respond, "No"! A closer look might reveal that many of us do and aren't aware of it. Cosmetics, personal care products, prescription and over-the-counter medicines, dietary supplements and vitamins are all items that many of us have that can be extremely dangerous to a child. The similarities between candy and medicine or other products are stunning.
The Cosumnes Fire Department recommends following these important steps to make sure that the children in your life are kept safe.
Always keep cleaning products, gasoline, lighter fluid, antifreeze, paint and paint thinners in the containers they came in.
Do not store food and household cleaners in the same cabinet; they often look alike.
Do not take medicine in front of children; they love to do what adults do.
If you are visiting or caring for little ones, put purses or bags that might contain medication or other products where a child can’t reach it.
Keep cosmetics, personal care products, prescription and over-the-counter medicines, cleaning products, dietary supplements and vitamins, pesticides and lighter fluid, locked up or out of reach. Be sure household plants are also out of reach.
Never call medicine candy.
Never put something that is not food in a food or beverage container, such as a soda bottle, cup or glass.
Objects that use small batteries, like toys or remotes, should be kept out of reach of young children. Disc batteries are both poisonous and a choking hazard.
Put smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in your home and make sure they work.